The Captain went over to fish Fort Peck with Jim Johnson of Lincoln and the owner of Hi Country Snack Foods. Sylvia Johnson sent along a jar of her cold cucumbers. It was such a hit in the campground that the Captain asked for another jar when he dropped Johnson off at his home. Sylvia accomadated wit another jar and handed off her recipe. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks again Sylvia!
Refrigerator Cucumber Pickles
What You Need
- 2lbs cucumbers, sliced (I like to peel cucumbers)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
What You Do
- Layer cucumbers, onion, pepper in bowl, add I teaspoon salt between each of 3 layers.
- Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- Drain off liquid.
Brine Preparation Instructions
What You Need
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp mustard seed
- 1 Tbsp celery seed
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
What You Bring to gentle boil for 2 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- Cool Brine.
- Pour over drained cucumbers, onion, green pepper
- Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Marinate in fridge overnight.
Makes approx 6 cups.
Will keep in fridge for 5 weeks.
Recipe has been around a long time. My retired neighbor said ‘pickles’ were better tasting than her grandmother’s. I took several recipes and came up with this. Most recipes called for 2 cups sugar, I added only 1 1/2 cup of sugar. You can add more spices, garlic, pepper whatever pleases you. I have used zucchini in this recipe. Enjoy!