It is Montana law that hunters obtain landowner permission to hunt on all private land.
Here are a few things to keep in mind that will greatly improve results when attempting to secure hunting access to private land.
- Show courtesy to the landowner and make hunting arrangements by calling or visiting at times convenient to the landowner.
- Plan ahead and secure permission well in advance of the actual hunting date.
- Provide complete information about yourself and your hunting companions, including vehicle descriptions and license numbers.
- Explain what type of hunting you wish to do, and be sure to ask any questions which can help clarify the conditions of access.
- Follow the landowner’s instructions, and bring with you only the companions for whom you obtained landowner permission.
- Be sure to thank the landowner after your hunt.
Information Provided by www.fwp.mt.gov