Captain’s Vehicle Checklist
In the years past I have with the help of my radio listeners and newspaper readers compiled ‘Hunter’s Checklist’. This checklist has aided hunters in gathering their hunting gear and saved them time in doing so. You may view this checklist by logging onto www.montanaoutdoor.com. Feel free to print it out ,after viewing it if you feel you might want to add to the list please e-mail your item. Also this year with the help from my good friend Bob Culp from Frenchtown I have put together another checklist, this one is for getting your hunting vehicle ready.
- Service your vehicle: Change oil, check antifreeze level,(strength of the antifreeze should be 30 dregrees below zero or better), battery fluid levels, transmission-tranfer case levels
- Inspect serpentine belt (fan-belt) replace if worn or cracked (save your old one for a spare.
- Inspect your tires and check tire pressure, including your spare tire.
- Tire chains-make sure they fit and are in good condition.
- Two vehicle ramps. (It makes putting tire chains an easier task)
- Flashlight with extra batteries for your map-GPS-compass.
- Tool box (Make sure all your tools are in order)
- Jumper cables or Jump Start Power Pack
- Assorted nuts-bolts-washers-mechanics wire-duct tape-electrical tape-wire ties.
- Extra oil-antifreeze-Automatic Transmission. Fluid-Radiater Stop Leak.
- High lift jack or come-a-long
- Tow straps or tow chains-Heavy Rope.
- Snow shovel, ax-bucket-tarp.
- 2×6 that is 1 to 4 feet long (Might help to put under tires if you are high centered)
- Old carpet to lie on if you have to get under your vehicle
- Ice chest with freshwater and food like jerky-dehydrated fruit-energy bars.
- Old sleeping bag-blankets-firewood.
If you get stuck or break down stay with your rig. You are more likely to be found in your rig and with the right emergency supplies you will be safer.
When packing your rig try and put the items you would use only for an emergency in first and the items that you will more than likely use in last.
If you have anything to Add to the HUNTERS VEHICLE CHECKLIST please e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org