Anglers Can Help Prevent Lead Poisoning in Waterbirds
By angelamontana

Posted: October 2, 2012

When anglers use and lose sinkers and jigs made from lead, waterbirds can swallow this unsafe fishing tackle and die from lead poisoning.  Sinkers and jigs can be made out of substitute materials, such as recycled glass, tin and steel, that won’t harm an animal if swallowed.  Follow these steps, as stated on page 9 in the Montana Fishing Regulations booklet, to help prevent waterbirds from getting lead poisoning:

  • Ask your local sporting goods store to stock non-lead fishing tackle.
  • Use non-lead fishing weights.
  • Discard old lead sinkers and jigs properly.
  • Spread the word. Tell other anglers about the problem with lead and encourage them to switch to non-lead sinkers and jigs.

For more information, see the 2012 Montana Fishing Regulations guide or stop by your nearest FWP office.