Have you always wondered how you would prepare the meat from your bighorn sheep after you got one? Well, wonder no more! I found this fantastic recipe from www.bakespace.com that shows an awesome way to cook your sheep meat in the form of a savory stew.
Combine the following:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- Add and cook, stirring, without browning, until softened: 2 medium onions, chopped
- Stir in: 3 pounds boneless sheep stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes, or 3 pounds sheep shoulder chops
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- Stir in: 2 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth, dark stout, or water
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
Cover tightly and bake for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and stir in:
- 4 medium carrots, cut diagonally into slices
Cover, return to the oven, and bake until the meat is forktender, 45 to 60 minutes more. Skim the fat from the top of the stew, and season with:
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley
Add the bighorn sheep horns as a garnish on the side of the dish of stew. Just kidding.
But, seriously, try this recipe, and you and your family will LOVE it!