(photo courtesy of Peg Miskin of Casting for Recovery)
Casting for Recovery (CFR) “provides free support and education retreats for women of any age and in any stage of breast cancer and incorporates fly fishing into the program”.
The organization was founded in 1996, and was awarded 501(c)3 non-profit status in 1998, and now has 42 retreats in 34 states. Two of the retreats are in Montana, one which will be in Emigrant in August and the other one scheduled for West Glacier in September.
Information on the retreat includes the following:
- The two-and-a-half day retreat is offered at no cost to the participants.
- The retreat incorporates both fly-fishing instruction and social support, ending with a half day of guided catch- and-release fly fishing.
- Focus is on wellness as opposed to illness, empowerment as opposed to helplessness..
- 14 participants and up to 20 alternates are selected at random from the applicant pool (based on service area) to attend each retreat.
- A volunteer planning team coordinates the CFR Program in their area.
- The national office oversees financial, promotional, and registration processes, coordinates participant information, and manages and trains the volunteer base.
- At least one medical professional, one psychosocial counselor, and four fly-fishing instructors trained specifically for the Casting for Recovery Program staff each retreat.
- Participants range in age from 26 to 90 and are from many socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds.
- The program is appropriate for women in all stages of treatment and recovery and various stages of emotional adaptation to breast cancer.
Peg Miskin will train and launch this team. Peg has been involved with CFR, initially, as a volunteer and, three years ago, is now the CFR National Program Director. If you are interested in participating in this program, you can reach Peg at 802.440.2227 and you can print a retreat application by clicking HERE.
Please visit the Casting for Recovery website at www.castingforrecovery.org for more information and/or to apply for a retreat.