History in Billings’ Backyard: Brett French Radio Show Preview
By angelamontana


Just downstream from Billings’ popular Riverfront Park along the Yellowstone River is a site that has now been recognized by the United States Board of Geographic Names as Clarks Crossing. The site, narrowed down to be close to an island across the river from the Billings Motorcycle Club, is where Sgt. Nathaniel Pryor and two other Corps of Discovery members crossed 26 horses on July 24, 1806. The Corps of Discovery, also known as the Lewis and Clark Expedition, was split in two by then. Capt. Meriwether Lewis was up north, following the Blackfoot River up and over onto the Rocky Mountain Front and then down the Missouri. Capt. William Clark and his team were exploring the Yellowstone. By July 24, Clark’s team had split as two of the members were trailing horses with the idea to trade them later when reaching Fort Mandan. The rest of the crew was paddling down the Yellowstone in canoes made of cottonwood trees near present-day Park City. Recognition of the site points to the variety of history close to Billings, one that many people know little about. To read more about the story, click on this link: http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/site-of-corps-of-discovery-horse-crossing-now-official/article_0831bfec-7516-5892-bdbc-6e5c56ab5d2c.html

historybillings

 (Written by Brett French – Outdoors Editor for the Billings Gazette)






test