- Hebgen Dam 974 cfs
- Kirby Ranch 1,140 cfs
- Varney Bridge 1,280 cfs
After a recent bump to almost 1300 cfs and a little green water, the Upper Madison River is dropping and still fishing very good from its upper reaches at Reynolds Bridge (FAS) and Lyons Bridge (FAS) downstream to Varney Bridge (FAS) and Ennis. We’ve really enjoyed the extra water this season as it has kept water temps down, and the fish on the bite!
- Chubby Chernobyl’s with the wing trimmed down in gold, olive and UV tan size #10-12
- Goddard Caddis size #14-16, Elk Hair Caddis size # 14-16.
- Iris Caddis size #14-16.
- Royal Wulff, Royal Cripple, Royal Trude size # 12-16.
- CDC UV Cinnamon Flying Ant size # 12-16.
- CFO Chernobyl Hopper in tan or peach, Morrish Hopper in tan, yellow, or pink, Clodhopper in peach size # 8-12.
NYMPHING: Nymphing two flies under an indicator are also still productive.
- Try a Pat’s Rubber Leg Stone in black, brown, olive or tan size # 8-10.
- Tungsten Golden Stone size # 8-12.
- George’s Rubber Leg Brown Stone size # 8-10.
Good second fly choices include:
- Beadhead Prince’s, Psycho Princes, Psycho May’s, Micro May’s, Flashback Pheasant Tails, Soft Hackle Pheasant Tails, Silverman’s Caddis, Green Spanker, Lawson’s Electric Caddis, Serendipities, Red Copper John’s size #14-18.
STREAMERS: The Streamer game is still really good. Tight line with a spilt-shot and no indicator; or dead drift and minimal mending is your best bet for good streamer action. The big fish are looking for big protein right now, sculpins and baitfish bunny fur patterns are bringing the ‘right fish’ to the party!
I like imitative sculpin patterns:
- Whitlock’s Hare Sculpin, Sheila Sculpin, Stalcup’s Sculpin, McCunes Sculpin, Exasperator Sculpin, Trevor’s Sculpin, Big Gulp Sculpin, Mini-Loop Sculpin and Zonker’s in Natural and olive and brown size # 4-8.
Don’t forget to add a small beadhead dropper 15-18″ tied off the bend of your first fly.
Some good second fly choices:
- Beadhead Prince’s, Psycho Princes, CDC Princes, Psycho May’s, Micro May’s,Flashback Pheasant Tails, Soft Hackle Pheasant Tails,
- Silverman’s Caddis, Green Spanker, Lawson’s Electric Caddis, Serendipities.
- Lightning bugs in silver or gold, Red Copper John’s size # 14-18.
For more information on the Madison River and guided fishing trips on Montana’s Madison River please contact Fishtales Outfitting. Happy Angling!
(Report written by Michael Stack of FishTales Outfitting)