What happens when your headlamp goes out, it’s dark, cold and the wind (at least you think it’s the wind) is howling?
Follow these Seven Survival Rules to be prepared if your leisurely day hunt becomes an overnighter.
Seven Survival Rules
(Montana Hunter Education)
- Tell someone where you are going and when you plan to return.
- Try to hunt with someone else whenever possible.
- Take enough food for several days in case of an emergency.
- Take a compass and map and know how to use them.
- Wear proper clothing and equipment.
- Plan your hunt so that you will return before dark.
- Carry a survival kit with shelter and fire starting materials.
Safety and comfort are the two most important considerations for enjoyable hunting. By following these seven rules of safety you will have control over both even if things don’t go exactly as planned.