Turn your deer into your favorite food–BACON! We can’t think of anything better to do with your freezer full of what verifies your hunting success! Try the following recipe from fieldandstream.com:
– 2 lbs. Insta-Cure*
– 1/2 lb. brown sugar
– 2 1/2 gallons water
– Three venison roasts cut from one deer hindquarter (bottom round, rump, and sirloin tip)
– Mix dry ingredients and water well.
– Using high-volume syringe, inject cure marinade into meat at multiple points until all the blood is pushed out.
– Seal injected meat in vacuum tumbler for 1 to 3 hours (or marinate in fridge for 2 to 3 days). Rub with lemon pepper, black pepper, garlic powder and meat tenderizer.
– Smoke until internal temperature reads 130 degrees.
– Slice 1/4-inch thick.
– Fry and serve. Great with a traditional breakfast, in a BLT, or anywhere you want the sweet, smoky flavor of bacon.
*The recipe from fieldandstream states to use 2 pounds, but it might be a typo and may be more like 2 tbsp
(Feature photo via photobucket.com)