10 Free Things to Do OUTDOORS with Your Kids
By Toby Trigger
These 10 things will help you enjoy the great weather with your family!
Run through a sprinkler.
- Have a bubble gum blowing contest, then take turns reading the Bazooka comics aloud.
- Organize the neighborhood into teams for a game of stickball. Okay, you can use a regular ball and bat, but pick-up games were a daily event in summers gone by. Stickball, kickball or volleyball—the point is simply to have a ball.
- At the end of your rope with kids complaining they’re bored? Knot a piece of string and play cat’s cradle.
- Still popular with today’s kids, hula hoops are good fun and great exercise. See who can hula hoop the longest. Skip through a hula hoop like you’re jumping rope. Set up an obstacle course. Create stations with different tasks such as hula for 10 spins, spin two hoops on your arms, jump through a hoop held by another person.
- Game time! Remember Duck Duck Goose and Red Rover? Send summer fun right over!
- Toss a Frisbee around.
- Have fun with games on paper: Tic-tac-toe, Hangman, Dots and Boxes.
- Build a tree house or fort.Play a round of Marco Polo or water volleyball in the pool.
- Have a thumb wrestling match.
- My personal favorite – BACK YARD ARCHERY!
Go outside. Play. Have fun. Soak up the sun and enjoy your weekend!