According to the Billings Gazette, Nathan Vannatta, 32, of Billings was killed by blunt force trauma to the neck after being struck with one of his own fireworks. According to Lt. Casey Hafner, Vannatta was lighting the mortar type fireworks in a launch tube and attempting to launch them from his hip. When the firework appeared to be a dud, Vannatta peered inside the tube when the firework finally went off striking Vannatta in the neck.
This is a very tragic accident and is a lesson to all readers that fireworks can be very dangerous and should be used with tremendous caution, not only because of the fire hazards, but because of the injuries and/or death that can occur by using them improperly.
Full Article Here: http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/man-killed-in-july-fireworks-accident-was-hit-when-looking/article_45665d65-bc2e-57bf-91e3-d08eee576ff9.html#ixzz3fJOFIbO4