Ten Interesting Trivial Fishy Facts
By Toby Trigger
Anglers are often awed by the fish they pursue but did you know these ten facts about fishing ?
- A biologist who studies fish is called an ichthyologist.
- The most poisonous fish in the world is the Stone fish.
- The more sardines that are placed in a can, the greater the profit as sardine oil costs more than the sardines.
- Minnows have teeth in their stomach; the better to digest their food.
- The sturgeon is considered the largest of all freshwater fish and have weighed in at 2,250 pounds.
- All the sturgeon [the fish from which we get caviar] caught in British waters are property of Elizabeth II, Queen of England.
- Atlantic salmon are able to leap as high as 15 feet.
- The largest known fish in the sea is the whale shark. It weighs up to 20 tons and can grow to a length of 40 feet.
- Fish can get seasick when kept aboard a rolling ship just as much as people.
- The red fire-fish can fly and emits sounds like a crow.
These facts were originally published at: http://www.guy-sports.com/humor/stories/story_fishy.htm#Ten_Interesting_Trivial_Fishy_Facts