Hunting season, (arguably the best time of year) will be here in less than a week.
We should all be at the range making sure our trusty or as the case may be, our brand new rifles are all sighted in, cleaned up and actions working properly. This is a great time to teach kids the importance of firearm safety and perhaps remind ourselves to have fun safely.
Here are THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF FIREARM SAFETY straight out of the Montana Hunter Education Manual:
- Always point the muzzle of your gun in a safe place.
- Always treat every gun as if it were loaded.
- Always be sure of your target and beyond.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
- Check your Barrel and ammunition.
- Unload firearms when not in use.
- Point a firearm only at something you intend to shoot.
- Don’t run, jump, or climb with a loaded firearm.
- Store firearms and ammunition separately and safely.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages before hunting.
Keep these Ten Commandments in the forefront of your mind this week at the range and all through the season. Remember to enjoy your time afield- safely!