There are a lot of people who have found fishing success with the Chinook at Fort Peck this summer. So, here’s a suggestion for those salmon fillets from food.com:
Crusty, Flavorful Salmon Cakes Recipe
- unsalted butter
- olive oil
- 3⁄4cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 1 1⁄2cups small-diced celery (4 stalks)
- 1⁄2cup small-diced red bell pepper (1 small pepper)
- 1⁄2cup small-diced yellow bell pepper (1 small pepper)
- 1⁄4cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1tablespoon capers, drained
- 1⁄4teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄2lb cooked salmon
- 3⁄4cup panko breadcrumbs(Japanese bread crumbs) or3⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2cup good mayonnaise
- 2teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of oil, the onion, celery, red and yellow bell peppers, parsley, capers, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay Seasoning, salt, and peppers in a large saute pan over medium-low heat and cook until the vegetables are soft, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature; flake the salmon into a large bowl, add the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs and toss lightly.
- Add the cooked mixture and mix well.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Shape into salmon cakes, 2 1/2 to 3 ounces each.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the salmon cakes and fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Drain on paper towels; keep them warm in a 250 degree F oven and serve hot.
- TO COOK SALMON:.
- Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast in a 350ºF oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until just cooked.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil, allow to rest for 10 minutes, then chill completely.
- Flake with your hands.
- *Salmon cakes can be shaped and stored overnight in the fridge on baking sheets wrapped in plastic; fry just before serving.
*Suggestion: Serve with Ina Garten’s Mango Chutney; it’s delicious! I didn’t allow for chill time of over 60 minutes. These are great as appetizers or the entree or we had them for a nice lunch.
(Feature photo via recipeshubs.com)