There are a few big dates to note. The following seasons opened this past Saturday:
- Antelope general season opened – Oct. 8
- Pheasant season opened – Oct. 8
Note that archery for deer and elk closes on October 16th with general rifle season opening on the 22nd. Then, the cat hunters can rejoice, as mountain lion season also opens on the 22nd!
- Deer, elk archery season closes – Oct. 16
- General deer and elk season opens – Oct. 22
- Fall mountain lion season opens – Oct. 22
Montana’s annual youth-only deer hunt—set for Oct. 20-21—will come a week earlier this year.
The two-day youth hunt is open to:
- legally licensed 12-15 year olds who have completed hunter education and who are accompanied by a non-hunting adult at least 18 years of age;
- and properly certified and legally licensed apprentice hunters 10-15 years of age who are accompanied by a non-hunting adult “mentor” at least 21 years of age.
This hunt is for deer only. All regulations apply. Elk hunting is prohibited.
Young hunters must wear hunter orange and follow all hunting district regulations, which may limit them to certain species or require a special permit.
Also, there is a kids wild animal costume party on Oct. 28th–details here.
Wolf trapping season opens December 15th.
Wolf Trappers, there is a wolf trapping certification class with available seats in Kalispell on December 10th. The Missoula class on December 3rd is FULL. Sign up early for this free class to trap wolves. Please talk to other trappers if you have any questions BEFORE putting your steel in the ground. The Montana Trappers Association is a great resource for trappers willing to help new trappers.
Click HERE to sign up for the Kalispell class on December 10th.
(info via MT FWP)