What to Do When You Catch a Big One!
So, you’re out fishing, and you spend 20 minutes reeling in a big one…and it is REALLY big. Now, what do you do? Montana FWP has some info below for you:
(2016 Smallmouth Bass pictured)
I caught a record-breaker! What now?
- To prevent loss of weight, do not clean or freeze the fish. Keep the fish cool—preferably on ice.
- Take a picture of the fish.
- Weigh the fish on a certified scale (found in grocery store or hardware store, etc.), witnessed by a store employee or other observer. Obtain a weight receipt and an affidavit from the store personnel if no FWP official is present. Measure the length and girth.
- Contact the nearest FWP office to have the fish positively identified by a Fisheries Biologist or Manager.
- Fill out the Fish Record Form 25 KB and send it to:
- Beth Giddings
- Fisheries Division
- Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
- PO Box 200701
- Helena, MT 59620-0701
For Montana Fish Records, CLICK HERE.
- To view the girth and bait tackle columns, please download the Montana Fish Records 87 KB.
- For more information contact the FWP Fisheries Division at: (406) 444-7815 or e-mail Beth Giddings
- The * denotes Montana native fish.
(information provided by Montana FWP)