Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks will adopt Stage 1 Fire Restrictions for all FWP fishing access sites, state parks and wildlife management units in the Dillon Fire Restriction Area and part of the Helena Fire Restriction Area in Deer Lodge, Jefferson and Beaverhead counties effective Friday, Aug. 17, at 12:01 a.m.
Under Stage 1 Fire Restrictions, the following acts are prohibited until further notice:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire or campfire unless noted in the exemptions below.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least 3 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
Exemptions to the fire restrictions:
- Persons with a written permit that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
- Persons using a device solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off.
- Persons conducting activities in those designated areas where the activity is specifically authorized by written posted notice.
- Any federal, state, or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
- All land within a city boundary is exempted.
- Campfires will be allowed in established steel fire grates at Lewis & Clark Caverns State Park and Bannack State Park.