Deer hunters, who want to hunt the Marias River Wildlife Management Area southwest of Shelby in Hunting District 406, have the month of June to submit their application.
Applicants must put in for a specific archery period or a general rifle season period. There are three archery periods each lasting two weeks, from Sept. 7 through Oct. 20. The three general season periods run one week each, from Oct. 26 through Nov. 17.
A random drawing will take place for:
2019 Archery Season – Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 archers for the first 2 weeks (Sept 7 – Sept 21)
- 10 archers for the 3rd and 4th weeks (Sept 22 – Oct 5)
- 10 archery hunters for 5th and 6th weeks (Oct 6 – Oct 20)
2019 General Season – Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 rifle hunters for the 1st week (Oct 26 – Nov 1)
- 10 rifle hunters for the 2nd week (Nov 2 – Nov 8)
- 10 rifle hunters for the 3rd and final week (Nov 9 – Nov 17)
Public hunting access for all other species is open on the Marias River WMA. Hunters can submit applications starting 8 a.m., June 1, until 5 p.m., June 28. All drawing applications must be submitted electronically either on the FWP web page, http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/marias.html or at any FWP regional or area office.
- Application must be made electronically (fwp.mt.gov) beginning 8:00 AM, June 1, 2019. Persons may make electronic application at FWP Regional offices.
- Application deadline is 5:00 PM, June 28, 2019 (applications must be received by 5:00 PM).
- Incomplete applications will be removed from the drawing.
- Hunters must include their full name, address, phone number, valid email address, ALS number and desired hunt period.
- Hunters may apply only once. Duplicate applications will be removed from the drawing.
- No party applications accepted.
- Drawing will take place after June 28, 2019, with only successful applicants notified of drawing results.
- 10 archery hunters randomly chosen per 2-week period.
- 3 archery hunt periods, each approximately 2-week in length.
- 10 general hunting season (rifle) hunters randomly chosen per 7-9 day period.
- 3 general season (rifle) hunt periods, each 7-9 days in length.
- Hunt periods are not transferable.
- Successful applicants will be contacted by email with hunt access information and authorized permission prior to the start of the archery season.
- Successful applicants may use any deer license valid in Hunting District 406.
- All hunting will conform to the existing F&W Commission-established season structure in HD 406.