The Flathead Avalanche Center in Hungry Horse has issued a BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE WATCH for the following areas:
NWS Missoula MT – MTC 029 (Flathead County)…MTC 047 (Lake County)
* TIMING…In effect from Sat 06:30 MST to Sun 17:00 MST.
* AFFECTED AREA…The Swan Range
* AVALANCHE DANGER…The avalanche danger is expected to rise to HIGH on Sunday.
* REASON/IMPACTS…Heavy snowfall through Sunday will rapidly overload a weak snowpack causing widespread areas of unstable snow and natural avalanche activity.
* PRECAUTIONARY / PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…Very dangerous avalanche conditions and an AVALANCHE WARNING are expected to develop by Sunday morning. Travel in avalanche terrain is not recommended during the warning period. Avalanches may reach into runout zones with thin or non-existent snowpacks.
Consult http://www.flatheadavalanche.org/ or www.avalanche.org for more detailed information.
Similar avalanche danger may exist at locations outside the coverage area of this or any avalanche center.