BILLINGS, Mont. – Following guidance from the White House, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and state and local public health authorities, Reclamation’s Montana Area Office is increasing overnight recreational access to managed sites at Canyon Ferry. The Bureau of Reclamation is working across the 17 western states in close coordination with federal, state and local public health authorities to actively monitor the COVID-19 pandemic while using a phased approach to increase public access on a case-by-case basis.
As of June 4, 2020, Canyon Ferry will reopen access to:
• Recreation areas that will open to reservations only. Cash or check fee collection will be shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic and reservations can only be made online at https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.recreation.gov%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cmstrickland%40sbgtv.com%7Cefb2837839c647516a2708d80770278d%7C897dbc0dc02d43479a713e589c67f8aa%7C0%7C0%7C637267525580761653&sdata=6LIrA9t1ZWfogcuoqzbjwOuVqsxBW1vfzMmL%2F43ZIXM%3D&reserved=0:
o Court Sheriff Campground
o Chinamen’s Campground
o Jo Bonner Campground
o Riverside Campground
• Recreation areas that will be open, but reservations are not required at this time. These areas will be first come, first served:
o Hellgate Campground
o White Earth Campground
o Fish Hawk Campground
• Group use shelters can be reserved. While using group shelters visitors are encouraged to follow federal, state, and local guidelines inclusive of all CDC guidelines.
The following recreation areas remain open to the public:
Canyon Ferry Reservoir
• Day use areas
• Some primitive campgrounds are open for overnight use including:
o Duck Creek
o Dispersed camping near Goose Bay Marina
• Boat launching ramps where accessible
• Restroom facilities on a limited basis
The public is encouraged to contact individual marinas directly for questions concerning specific services offered:
• Goose Bay Marina: 406-266-3065
• Yacht Basin Marina: 406-475-3440
• Kim’s Marina: 406-475-3723
• Silos Recreation Area: 406-266-3100
The health and safety of our visitors, employees, volunteers and partners continues to be paramount. At recreation areas managed by Reclamation, our operational approach will be to examine each facility function and service provided to ensure those operations comply with current public health guidance.
While these public areas are accessible for visitors to enjoy, a return to full operations will continue to use a phased approach and services may be limited. When recreating, the public should follow local area health orders, including the regulations listed in the Montana Phased Approach Directive issued by Governor Steve Bullock for recreation facilities and services. In addition, visitors should practice Leave No Trace principles and avoid crowding. Additionally, Reclamation wants to remind the recreating public of the 14 day stay camping limit and must not leave personal property unattended for more than 24 hours.
The CDC has offered guidance to help people recreating on public lands to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. We will continue to monitor all functions to ensure that visitors adhere to CDC guidance for mitigating risks associated with the transmission of COVID-19 and take any additional steps necessary to protect public health.
Details and updates on facilities and operations managed by the Montana Area Office will continue to be posted on our website at https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usbr.gov%2Fgp%2Fmtao%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cmstrickland%40sbgtv.com%7Cefb2837839c647516a2708d80770278d%7C897dbc0dc02d43479a713e589c67f8aa%7C0%7C0%7C637267525580761653&sdata=pctK6%2B%2FFv2Q6sOqrQICysAX5zW%2FdEL8BvD3YV%2FzDIOE%3D&reserved=0.
Learn more about CDC Guidance on staying safe while recreating at https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fcommunity%2Fparks-rec%2Findex.html&data=02%7C01%7Cmstrickland%40sbgtv.com%7Cefb2837839c647516a2708d80770278d%7C897dbc0dc02d43479a713e589c67f8aa%7C0%7C0%7C637267525580771653&sdata=IzumQQT9x8IBVieNmK%2FIUsylU%2FlfvbAgnLqKti3QmYw%3D&reserved=0.