HYALITE LAKE TOXIC!!!
By Montana Grant

Posted: August 6, 2020

One of Bozeman’s favorite outdoor recreation areas has the “Cooties!” An algae bloom has been discovered in the lake.

“This type of algae has the potential of producing toxins that can hurt people, pets, and livestock,” says the Gallatin County Health Department.

Summer, warm water algae blooms are not uncommon. This type of algae is more harmful. “Direct contact, ingestion or inhalation of the toxins may cause skin irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or headaches”, according to the news release.

Children and pets are more likely to ingest or come in contact wit the toxins in shallow, shoreline areas.

Bozeman City officials claim the water is not affected in their public drinking water system. Tests form multiple sites are made weekly to make sure that there are no issues.

County officials urged folks to stay out of the water and “not take any chances. Do not drink or swim in the water. Be cautious of any algae suspended in the water. It may appear to look like pea soup, grass clippings or green latex paint.”

You can still enjoy the water but pick a spot without algae. Algae issues are mainly around the shorelines and areas of dead water. Catching fish in the middle of the lake is not a big deal. Rinse your catch and equipment thoroughly after the day’s adventures.

The DEQ asks visitors to document and take pictures of any algae sightings. Submit this information to hab.mt.gov or by calling 1-888-849-2938. This website shows where algae blooms can be located. Hyalite Lake is not the only lake with an algae concern.

Avoid any contact!

Montana Grant

For more Montana Grant, find him high and dry at www.montanagrantfishing.com.