Potentially Toxic Algae Bloom Reported on Salmon Lake
By Moosetrack Megan

Posted: October 8, 2020

Important Announcement: Potentially Toxic Algae Bloom Reported on Salmon Lake

Last week, the Clearwater Resource Council collected samples of a possible blue-green algae south of Salmon Lake State Park after getting a report of the bloom. We were able to confirm early this week that the algae is Anabaena, which may produce different toxins including anatoxin and microcystin that can make people very sick and be deadly to animals.

Anatoxin is a neurotoxin that affects the nervous system. Signs can appear within 15 -20 minutes after ingestion. Signs include numbness of the lips, tingling in fingers and toes, stumbling, seizures, paralysis, disorientation, headaches, inactivity, elevated heart rate, dizziness and respiratory failure.

Microcystin is a hepatotoxin, affecting the liver, causing serious acute symptoms and also slower chronic symptoms. Symptoms can occur hours or days after being exposed to the cyanotoxin. Signs include abdominal pain, loss of appetite, jaundice, dark or reduced urine, diarrhea, vomiting, liver damage, and hemorrhages.

For more information, visit https://www.seeleylake.com/…/algae-bloom-reported…/6551.html

Important Announcement: Potentially Toxic Algae Bloom Reported on Salmon LakeLast week, the Clearwater Resource…

Posted by FLBS – Flathead Lake Biological Station, The University of Montana on Thursday, October 8, 2020