In anticipation of next week’s two-day youth deer hunt, Oct. 15 and 16, as well as the general season opener on Oct. 24, Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks encourages mail-in certification for eligible Apprentice Hunters.
COVID-19 safety protocols are in place at FWP offices and lobby occupancy is limited, therefore wait times outside may be longer than in years past. If you can, please get your apprentice hunter certified well before the youth hunt and/or the general season opener.
It’s not too late to complete the certification process by mail if you act now. The apprentice certification process must take place at the FWP regional offices. Once the certification process is complete, licenses may be purchased at any license provider that may be convenient for you. If you have questions about how to get your apprentice hunter certified ahead of the rush, please call your regional office as listed below.
The “Apprentice Hunter” law allows anyone 10 years of age or older to hunt two license years without completing hunter education. An apprentice must recertify through an FWP office if taking advantage of this program for a second year. An apprentice hunter may not obtain a big horn sheep, black bear, mountain lion, wolf or elk license if under the age of 15.
The cost of the certification is $5, once that process is complete then you may purchase the applicable licenses.
Apprentice hunters, ages 10-15, may hunt in the two-day youth deer hunt and throughout the general season.
FWP recommends that people interested in this program read the Apprentice Hunter Program packet before seeking certification through your regional office. The packet outlines guidelines for both the apprentice and the required mentor, including what apprentices can and cannot do, who can act as a mentor, and how the certification process works. The application packet is available on the FWP website.
- Region 1 (Kalispell) 406-752-5501, 490 N. Meridian Rd, Kalispell, MT 59901
- Region 2 (Missoula) 406-542-5500, 3201 Spurgin Rd, Missoula MT 59804
- Region 3 (Bozeman) 406-577-7900, 1400 S. 19th Ave, Bozeman, MT 59718
- Region 4 (Great Falls) 406-454-5840, 4600 Giant Springs Rd, Great Falls, MT 59405
- Region 5 (Billings) 406-247-2940, 2300 Lake Elmo Drive, Billings, MT 59105
- Region 6 (Glasgow) 406-228-3700, 1 Airport Rd, Glasgow, MT 59230
- Region 7 (Miles City) 406-234-0900, 352 I-94 Business Loop, Miles City, MT 59301
- FWP Headquarters front desk 406-444-2535, or Helena Licensing 406-444-2950. P.O. Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620.