Glendive Management Hunt
By angelamontana

Posted: August 30, 2013

GLENDIVE, Mont. — Cities and town across the nation face urban wildlife issues. Deer management is one widespread issue that is difficult and contentious to manage in most locations. The city of Glendive took a proactive approach to deer management, adopting a Deer Management Action Plan (DMAP), approved by Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks in 2011. Glendive’s plan utilizes hunting with archery equipment as the primary control tool.

With a steady increase in the mule deer population in the Glendive area, the Glendive Deer Management Group recommended to increase the harvest of deer in the Glendive area to promote and sustain a healthy mule deer population.

200 special antlerless mule deer licenses, (Glendive management season license) will be sold on a first come first served basis through the ALS system. Hunters may purchase up to 5 of these licenses. These licenses plus unused 2013 Region 7 mule deer B licenses and 2013 general deer “A” licenses, will be valid through December 1, 2013. General deer “A” license is valid for either sex mule deer.

From December 2, 2013 through February 15, 2014 unused Glendive management season licenses, Region 7 mule deer B licenses and general “A” deer licenses will be valid. From December 2, 2013 through February 15, 2014 general deer “A” licenses will be valid for antlerless mule deer only.

Hunters must possess both a 2013 Conservation and Bow and Arrow License. The special antlerless deer licenses are valid only within the boundaries designated below by FWP. All laws and rules applicable, including landowner permission, to the 2013 general big game season apply to this special management hunt. Hunters must obey no shooting zones in densely populated residential and business areas and from ridge top to ridge top along Makoshika Park Road. No shooting zones are identified on maps that are available at Glendive City Hall and Makoshika State Park.

Hunters must obtain permission for City of Glendive property and approved private property from Glendive City Hall (406-377-3318); hunters need to sign in at Glendive City Hall Monday thru Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Permission to hunt Makoshika State Park needs to be obtained from Makoshika State Park at the main office (406-377-6256). Permission for individual private property must be obtained from the landowner.

For specific hunt information contact FWP Region 7 during business hours (8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) at 406-234-0900.


A 2 to 3 mile area outside the city limits of Glendive (the hunt area shall include the town of Glendive), which includes land in the following sections:

T15N R55E Sections: 1, 2, 3, 10 & 11 T16N R55E Sections: 23, 24, 25, 26, 35 & 36

T16N R56E Sections: 19 & 30

(Report by Montana FWP; Cover photo: