Volunteer for the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest
By Moosetrack Megan

Posted: May 1, 2017

There are two resource advisory committees (RACs) serving in the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest. The Southwest Montana RAC covers Madison, Beaverhead, Jefferson, and Silver Bow counties and includes lands on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge, Helena, and Gallatin National Forests. The Tri County RAC covers Powell, Granite, and Deer Lodge counties and includes lands on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge, Lolo, Helena, and Flathead National Forests.

A Secure Rural Schools Resource Advisory Committee (RAC) provides recommendations to the Forest Service on the development and implementation of special projects on federal lands as authorized under the Secure Rural Schools Act and Community Self-Determination Act in Public Law 110-343. Title II funds are authorized for projects that protect, restore, and enhance fish and wildlife habitat; improve the maintenance of existing Forest Service infrastructure; protect and enhance ecosystems on the national forests; and restore and improve land health and water quality. The RACs review and recommend projects and funding to the Forest Supervisor.

How can I be involved?

The Beaverhead-Deerldoge National Forest is currently soliciting applications from individuals to fill positions on our Resource Advisory Committees (RAC). Interested individuals should have an interest in resource management and a strong desire to work collaboratively within a diverse group of interests. To be a RAC member, applicants must fall into one of the following categories:

Category A

  • Organized Labor or Non-Timber Forest Product Harvester Groups
  • Developed Outdoor Recreation, Off Highway Vehicle Users, or Commercial Recreation Activities
  • Energy & Mineral Development Interests or Commercial or Recreational Fishing Interests
  • Commercial Timber Industry
  • Hold Federal Grazing or Other Land Use Permits, or Represent Non-Industrial Private Forest Landowners Within the Area for Which the Committee is Organized

Category B

  • Nationally recognized environmental organizations.
  • Regionally or locally recognized environmental organizations.
  • Dispersed recreation activities.
  • Archaeological and historical interests.
  • Nationally or regionally recognized wild horse or burro groups, wildlife or hunting organizations, or watershed organizations.

Category C

  • State-elected office-holders or their designee.
  • County or local elected office-holders.
  • American Indian tribal representatives from tribes within or adjacent to the RAC area.
  • School officials or teachers.
  • Citizens representing the affected public at large.

If you are interested in serving on the Southwest Montana or Tri County RAC, please visit our Resource Advisory Committee Information page.

2016 Projects

Project proposals were reviewed on June 24th (Southwest Montana RAC) and June 28th (Tri County RAC). Project Proposals and meeting notes can be found on our Resource Advisory Committee Information page.

New Podcast!