Montana Permit Information
By angelamontana

Posted: September 24, 2020

Whether you’re out boating, sguiding on the Madison or Blackfoot River, planning to float the Smith River from Camp Baker to Eden Bridge, snowmobiling, cruising in your OHV, recreating on state land or camping in the back country, you will need to get a permit.

Here is more information from FWP:

River Recreation

A permit is required to float the Smith River from Camp Baker to Eden Bridge. A Special Recreation Permit is required on the Madison and Blackfoot rivers for commercial use, competitive events and organized group events.River Recreation Permits

Register your Vehicle or Vessel

Registration requirements of snowmobiles, off-highway vehicles, sailboats, motorboats and personal watercraft differ for Montana residents and nonresidents.
Register Snowmobiles & OHVsRegister Boats

Snowmobile and OHV Permits

If you are a Montana resident, you must register your vehicle with the county treasure’s office. Nonresidents who plan to operate their snowmobile or off-highway vehicles on public land, must purchase a nonresident permit and display it on the vehicle.Snowmobile & OHV Permits

State Land Use

A Recreation Use Permit is required for anyone conducting a non-commercial activity on State Trust Lands not related to hunting and fishing.State Land Use Permits

Backcountry Camping

Permits are required for backcountry camping in some National Forests, State Trust Lands, Yellowstone National Park, Glacier National Park and Sluice Boxes State Park.Backcountry Camping

New Podcast!