The Flathead Avalanche Center in Hungry Horse has issued a BACKCOUNTRY AVALANCHE WARNING for the following areas:
NWS Missoula MT – MTC 029 (Flathead County)…MTC 047 (Lake County)…MTC 053 (Lincoln County)
* WHAT…Very dangerous avalanche conditions exist.
* WHERE…In the Swan, Whitefish, and Flathead Ranges, and the Lake McDonald and Marias Pass areas of Glacier National Park
* WHEN…In effect from Sun 06:30 MST to Mon 06:30 MST.
* IMPACTS…New and drifted snow are overloading fragile, reactive weak layers. It will be easy to trigger large, wide, and deadly avalanches. Natural avalanches may run long distances.
* PRECAUTIONARY / PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…Avoid riding or traveling in avalanche terrain.
Consult http://www.flatheadavalanche.org/ or www.avalanche.org for more detailed information.
Similar avalanche danger may exist at locations outside the coverage area of this or any avalanche center.
Flathead Avalanche Center is a service provided by the Flathead National Forest, and is funded by the Flathead National Forest, Glacier National Park, the state of Montana, and donations to Friends of the Flathead Avalanche Center. The Type 1 Center staffs four full-time forecast and observer staff and provides daily avalanche forecasts for three geographic regions: the Swan Range, the Whitefish Range, and the Flathead Range and Glacier National Park.