Who Needs a Conservation License?
By angelamontana

Posted: July 18, 2023

Everything you need to know about a conservation license can be found here:

Beginning July 1, everyone ages 12 and older will need a Montana Conservation License to access most state lands. This includes all types of recreation—launching watercraft, hiking, biking, wildlife viewing, etc.

For trappers, commercial, or concentrated recreational users, a Special Recreational Use License is still required for use on these properties. Information on access is available at dnrc.mt.gov/recreation.

Where you need a Conservation License

A Conservation License is required to access most state lands including fishing access sites (FAS), wildlife management areas (WMA), and wildlife habitat protection areas (WHPA). Montana State Parks do not require a Conservation License.

People recreating on Montana state trust lands have previously been required to purchase an additional State Lands Recreational Use License to access these properties.  With the new law, the purchase of a  Conservation License is all that is required to access state lands.

Conservation License Costs

  • Resident Cost: $8
  • Youth 12-17 Resident Cost: $4
  • Senior 62+ Resident Cost: $4
  • Nonresident Cost: $10

What you need to apply for a Conservation License

Conservation License applicants are required to provide the last four digits of their social security number in addition to the information usually requested. A valid driver’s license or valid photo ID is required to purchase a license.

BUY ONLINE: Most FWP licenses, including a Conservation License can be purchase via the Online Licenses Service.

Resident with a Disability Conservation License

This license allows disabled Montana residents to obtain a Conservation License for $8. This allows for the purchase of a General Deer, a General Elk, Fishing and Upland Game Bird licenses at half cost. You must be permanently and substantially disabled to qualify for this license.  You can print the application below or get one at an FWP office. These licenses are not available to nonresidents.

New Podcast!

Riley's Meats - Butte Wild Game Processing