Deer hunters who want to hunt the Marias River Wildlife Management Area, southwest of Shelby in Hunting District 406, have from June 15 to July 15 to submit their application.
A random drawing will take place for deer hunting periods during the archery season, Sept. 6 – Oct. 19, or the general rifle season, Oct. 25 – Nov. 16. Access to the WMA will be allocated as follows:
Archery Season – Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 archers for the first 2 weeks (Sept. 6-Sept. 20)
- 10 archers for the 3rd and 4th weeks (Sept. 21-Oct. 4)
- 10 archers for 5th and 6th weeks (Oct. 5-Oct. 19)
General Season – Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 rifle hunters for the 1st week (Oct. 25-Oct. 31)
- 10 rifle hunters for the 2nd week (Nov 1-Nov. 8)
- 10 rifle hunters for the 3rd and final week (Nov. 9-Nov. 16)
Public hunting access for all other species is open on the Marias River WMA.
Hunters can submit applications starting 8 a.m., June 15, until 5 p.m., July 15. All drawing applications must be submitted electronically either on the FWP web page, http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/marias.html or at any FWP regional or area office.
Points to remember
- 10 archery hunters randomly chosen per 2 week period.
- 3 archery hunt periods, each 2 weeks in length.
- 10 general hunting season (rifle) hunters randomly chosen per 7-9 day period.
- 3 general season (rifle) hunt periods, each 7-9 days in length.
- Hunters may apply for either archery or rifle season but not both.
- No party applications accepted.
- Hunt periods will be allotted at the time of drawing and are not transferable.
- Hunters may apply only once.
- Drawing application may be submitted electronically beginning 8 a.m., June 15, on the FWP web site or at any FWP regional office.
- Drawing application must be received by FWP no later than 5 p.m., July 15.
- Incomplete, incorrect or duplicate drawing applications will be removed prior to the drawing.
- Hunters must include their full name, address, phone number, and correctly formatted ALS number and indicate desired hunt– archery or general rifle hunting season on the drawing application.
- Drawing will take place after July 15 and only successful applicants will be notified of drawing results.
- Successful drawing applicants will be contacted with hunt access information and authorized permission before the start of the archery season.
- Successful drawing applicants may use any deer license valid in Hunting District 406.
- All hunting will conform to the existing FWP Commission-established season structure in HD 406.
(Report by Montana FWP)