Flesh-eating bacteria on FL angler originates with fishing hook prick
By angelamontana

Posted: May 6, 2019

Most anglers have been pricked by a fishing hook at some point in their lives–but things took a horrible turn for an Mike Walton while fishing in Florida. According to an article on MeatEater Fishing by Spencer Neuharth, Walton contracted a flesh-eating bacteria:

Florida man is currently recovering from a major health scare after a minor fishing accident. Mike Walton, a Gulf Coast native, was fishing offshore last month when he pricked himself with a fishing hook. Walton has been salt water angling for over 40 years, so he thought nothing of it and simply removed the lure, as he’s done many times before.

Back on shore later that day, Walton’s palm began to swell and throb uncomfortably. He went to a local hospital for treatment, where he was given antibiotics and sent home.

The next morning, though, the swelling and discomfort had intensified and black bubbles rose on his hand and arm. “I had like little blisters starting to form on my hand and you could watch like sweat beads coming up on the side of my hand, and then they just turned black,” Walton told ABC Tampa Bay. “When you look down and you can see your own tendons, back of your hand and your bone going up your arm, that makes it real.”

Read the full article here.


New Podcast!

Riley's Meats - Butte Wild Game Processing