Racquel Rausch was recently camping in western Montana and found out the hard way that Yeti tumblers, ramblers and colsters are, by far, not the safest thing to be holding if there is lightning nearby. According to her social media post, she was sitting low on the ground in a chair outside and held up her drink, and then, the unthinkable happened. Lightning entered her arm and exited her feet.
Here are her words from August 10th:
Thank you everyone for your love and support.💜I’m home and on the road to recovery. Monday I will know more in regard to the extent of my burns and what the next steps will be. For now I’m so very blessed to be alive. God is good! 🙏🏽 ⚡️lightning enters the body and has to exit it.
PS be safe out there and if camping leave the YETI rambler, tumbler and colster at home!!! These ARE NOT safe for outdoor use and are a massive magnet for lightning! I know I was sitting in a chair low to ground holding it up and got hit! #redsolocupforlife #redsolocup #yetiattractslightning #yeti
The feature photo and pictures below were also included in her post.
Here are examples of a Yeti rambler, colster and tumbler she is referring to:
In other comments to friends and family, Rausch said the event was indescribable and one of the craziest things she has ever had to endure. She also said she will never take any type of metal cups or other utensils out with her or let her kids do so in the future. She is still in disbelief on the whole thing and is “overwhelmed and grateful” for the hundreds of people sending her messages of love, speedy recovery and offering assistance and prayers.
So, whether you’re sitting in your yard, fishing in the river or out hunting in the mountains, before you grab your drink for the day, you may want to make sure it’s plastic or some other item that is not a conductor. Better safe than sorry. You just never know. Glad you’re okay, Racquel!