Replace faded licenses and avoid attaching carcass tags directly to meat
By angelamontana

Posted: September 23, 2019

If you have not checked your license and carcass tags in a while, please do so well in advance of your hunting trip to ensure they haven’t faded.

Hunters and anglers with faded licenses can have them replaced at no cost at their regional Fish, Wildlife & Parks office. Replacement at a FWP office for faded licenses does not count against the number of replacements an individual is allowed. Faded licenses can also be mailed to FWP for replacement: P.O. Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620-0701, or to your regional FWP office.

Also, between Sept. 20 and Oct. 24, hunters and anglers can have faded licenses replaced at no cost at their local license provider. License providers now have new license paper that will not fade. The new paper rolls are white.

After Oct. 24, the cost will be $5 for each license replaced at a license provider. However, FWP will reimburse the cost to hunters and anglers who mail in a receipt along with their faded license and tags. These can be mailed to the address above. If you’ve already paid to have your license replaced, you can submit your receipt to FWP for reimbursement.

Another option for replacing your license is to go to, login to MyFWP and request a digital version of your license to print at home or download to a smart phone. Digital licenses are good for everything but a carcass tag.

In addition to having your license and carcass tags replaced if they are faded, FWP recommends not attaching the carcass tag directly to the harvested animal’s meat. A few successful archery hunters have reported to FWP that the yellow coloring on the tag can bleed onto the meat.

If you need to attach the tag to the meat, consider putting it into a small plastic bag first. For hunters who have meat that has turned yellow from the tag, FWP recommends not eating that portion of the meat.


New Podcast!

Riley's Meats - Butte Wild Game Processing