PET PLANT PEEVES!!!
By Montana Grant

Posted: April 14, 2022

Over 100,000 pets are treated annually for home plant poisoning. With Easter just around the corner, here are some ideas how to protect your pets and farm critters from toxic plants.

My neighbor bought a huge bag of Daffodil bulbs from Costco. There must have been 50 bulbs in the sack. She carefully planted them, last Fall, around her home. Each hole was the proper depth and she even watered them. She was so anxious to see them emerge in the Spring.

Before the bulbs had a chance to move into their new homes, her cat, Lulu, dug everyone up. Bulbs were laying around the yard. So was her cat. Daffodil bulbs are extremely toxic. Lulu began to have convulsions and was vomiting. Off to the 24-hour Vet clinic they went. Fortunately, Lulu the cat survived. The bulbs went into the trash.

Sadly, many holiday plants are toxic to most critters and pets. Poinsettias, holly, and mistletoe at Christmas and Lilies, ferns, and daffodils at Easter have taken their toll on our beloved pets. 

Pet owners must be responsible for what they plant and expose their critters to. The attached list is a helpful guide. When pets are exposed to these toxic plants, they begin to vomit, become lethargic, develop rashes, convulse, drool, get diarrhea, and act unusual. Be aware of the 24-hour vet locations near you. If you can get the pet to the vet quickly, you can save the animal. Take a sprig of the plant with you when you go.

Many pets eat grass or leaves when they begin to have upset stomachs. They do not normally feast on your azaleas and other flowers, but a plant is a plant to them. Their goal is to scarf down enough to vomit up a huge grass ball. Cats a especially famous for this.

Check out the ASPCA website for a list of toxic and friendly plants to consider. https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants.

Plan ahead to keep your pets from being dead! 

Montana Grant