HELENA – There are only two remaining trapper education field days left this year before trapping season for most species begins on Nov. 1.
As a reminder, to purchase a Montana resident trapping license, trappers must complete the Montana Trapper Education Course online or have purchased a trapper’s license in at least three prior years (in Montana or another state). The trapping course requires an in-person field day.
The trapper education course consists of an online component, an in-person field day, and a written test. This general trapper education course also satisfies the Montana wolf trapper education requirement.
The remaining field days are Sept. 17 in Billings and Oct. 15 in Kalispell. Trappers who still need to take a trapper education class must complete the online coursework and attend a field day if they wish to trap during the 2022-2023 trapping season.
To register for the online course and an in-person field day, go to https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/education/trapping.
Volunteer trapper education instructors are still needed to help with field days. For more information or to be a trapper education instructor, please contact Wayde Cooperider at 444-4497 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download a copy of the 2022 Wolf and Furbearer Hunting and Trapping Regulations for more information.
- Youth 6 to 11 years old who wish to trap must purchase a youth trapping license and are exempt from the requirement to take a trapper education course until they are 12. However, youth trappers are limited to trapping only mink and muskrat.
- Nonresidents are exempt from the trapper education requirement as they cannot purchase a trapper’s license to trap furbearers in Montana.
- Nonresidents who desire to trap wolves must still take the virtual wolf trapper education course (sign up for wolf trapper certification course here).
- Resident trappers who have purchased a trapper’s license during three previous seasons, but have not taken the wolf trapper certification course, must take the course to trap wolves.
- Resident trappers who have not purchased a trapper’s license in three previous seasons, but have taken the wolf trapper certification course, must take the trapper education course.