Kick-off events scheduled around state
HELENA – Youth hunters can get a head start on pheasant and waterfowl seasons this weekend. The 2022 Youth Pheasant and Waterfowl Weekend is Sept. 24 and 25. Licensed hunters, 15 and under, will be able to hunt pheasants, ducks, mergansers, geese and coots statewide on these two days.
The two-day youth hunt is open to:
- legally licensed 12- to 15-year-olds who have completed hunter education and who are accompanied by a non-hunting adult at least 18 years of age;
- and properly certified and legally licensed apprentice hunters 10-15 years of age who are accompanied by a non-hunting adult “mentor” at least 21 years of age.
All regulations apply. The Canyon Ferry WMA is an exception — only to the youth waterfowl season shooting hours— they will be one-half hour before sunrise to noon.
Prior to the youth weekend, FWP will release pheasants at several wildlife management areas around the state. The purpose of the pheasant release program is to give youth hunters an opportunity to experience hunting success, encouraging their future participation.
Pheasants will be released on the following FWP lands:
- Region 1: North Shore WMA; Foys Bend Fisheries Conservation Area
- Region 3: Canyon Ferry WMA, Lake Helena WMA
- Region 4: Freezout Lake WMA
- Region 5: Grant Marsh WMA, Yellowstone WMA
- Region 6: Vandalia WMA, Cree Crossing WMA, Sleeping Buffalo WMA, Fresno WMA, Rookery WMA
- Region 7: Isaac Homestead WMA
FWP will host several kick-off events that will give young hunters the opportunity to meet with mentors and FWP staff. Events already have occurred in Regions 2 and 5.
The remaining kick-off events are scheduled as follows:
- Region 1: Sept. 20, 6-8 p.m., Flathead Valley Clay Target Club, 1290 Prairie View Road, Kalispell
- Region 3: Sept. 20, 6-8 p.m., Montana WILD Education Center, 2668 Broadwater Ave., Helena
- Region 4:
- 22, 6–8 p.m. in Conrad: Pondera County Shooting Sports Center, 972 Granite Road
- 24, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Mentored trap shooting and pheasant hunt in cooperation with Pheasants Forever and Golden Triangle Sporting Dog Club. Call or text 406-727-4676 to register or for more information.
- 24 and 25, 8 a.m.-noon, Freezout Lake WMA Headquarters, Fairfield
- Region 6: Sept. 21, 5-7:30 p.m., Glasgow Trap Club, off of Skylark Road
- Region 7: Sept. 22, 6-8 pm., Region 7 Headquarters, 352 I-94 Business Loop, Miles City