Apply June 15 to July 15 for Marias River WMA Deer Hunt
Deer hunters who want to hunt the Marias River Wildlife Management Area, southwest of Shelby in Hunting District 406, have from June 15 to July 15 to submit their application.
A random drawing will take place for deer hunting periods during the archery season, Sept. 6 – Oct. 19, or the general rifle season, Oct. 25 – Nov. 16. Access to the WMA will be allocated as follows:
Archery Season – Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 archers for the first 2 weeks (Sept. 6-Sept. 20)
- 10 archers for the 3rd and 4th weeks (Sept. 21-Oct. 4)
- 10 archers for 5th and 6th weeks (Oct. 5-Oct. 19)
General Season – Deer Hunting Periods
- 10 rifle hunters for the 1st week (Oct. 25-Oct. 31)
- 10 rifle hunters for the 2nd week (Nov 1-Nov. 8)
- 10 rifle hunters for the 3rd and final week (Nov. 9-Nov. 16)
Public hunting access for all other species is open on the Marias River WMA.
Hunters can submit applications starting 8 a.m., June 15, until 5 p.m., July 15. All drawing applications must be submitted electronically either on the FWP web page, http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/marias.html or at any FWP regional or area office.
Points to remember
- 10 archery hunters randomly chosen per 2 week period.
- 3 archery hunt periods, each 2 weeks in length.
- 10 general hunting season (rifle) hunters randomly chosen per 7-9 day period.
- 3 general season (rifle) hunt periods, each 7-9 days in length.
- Hunters may apply for either archery or rifle season but not both.
- No party applications accepted.
- Hunt periods will be allotted at the time of drawing and are not transferable.
- Hunters may apply only once.
- Drawing application may be submitted electronically beginning 8 a.m., June 15, on the FWP web site or at any FWP regional office.
- Drawing application must be received by FWP no later than 5 p.m., July 15.
- Incomplete, incorrect or duplicate drawing applications will be removed prior to the drawing.
- Hunters must include their full name, address, phone number, and correctly formatted ALS number and indicate desired hunt– archery or general rifle hunting season on the drawing application.
- Drawing will take place after July 15 and only successful applicants will be notified of drawing results.
- Successful drawing applicants will be contacted with hunt access information and authorized permission before the start of the archery season.
- Successful drawing applicants may use any deer license valid in Hunting District 406.
- All hunting will conform to the existing FWP Commission-established season structure in HD 406.
(Report by Montana FWP)