Applications for the Smith River Private Float Permit lottery are available January 2 – February 15, 2018.
There are 3 ways you can apply for the Smith River Private Float Permit lottery:
- There is a $10 nonrefundable application fee.
- All applications must be POSTMARKED or submitted on or before Thursday, February 15, 2018.
- Up to 15 people can float with one permit.
- A person applying for a Smith River permit must be a minimum of 12 years of age at the time they submit their permit application. There is no age restriction to participate on a Smith River float trip.
- Peak Season Waiting Period – A person who receives a permit through the lottery for a launch date during the time period of May 15 through July 15 (peak season) will not be allowed to apply for a permit for this same time period the following year. This restriction pertains even if the permit is cancelled. They may still apply for launch dates outside of the peak season, accompany another permitted trip on any date, or acquire a cancelled permit for any date.
Permit results will be posted online beginning March 1, 2018 at MyFWP on fwp.mt.gov. Only successful applicants will be notified via US Postal Service. FWP does not notify unsuccessful permit applicants.
If you aren’t awarded a permit, you still have a chance to float the Smith River by calling the Smith River Reservation & Information Line at (406) 454-5861 beginning March 12 (between 8am and Noon, Monday through Friday) to request any remaining launch dates or cancelled permits. You can also book a trip with one of the eight authorized Smith River outfitters, listed below.
In addition to the regular private float trip permits, FWP issues one Super Permit each year through a separate lottery (see information below). The recipient of the permit will be allowed to launch on any date of their choosing for that year.