Carbon Monoxide Winter Warning!
By angelamontana

Posted: January 26, 2016

With winter bringing snowfall in large amounts on the east coast and other areas, it is imperative that you remain aware of the dangers involved with carbon monoxide.  For example, take a look at this recent news clip of the death toll from the east coast from carbon monoxide alone:

A mother and child in New Jersey died inside a car from carbon monoxide poisoning, due to the car being turned on while its muffler was blocked by snow.

The 23-year-old woman and her 1-year-old son were inside the car on Sherman Street in Passaic while the father began digging the car out of the snow.

While the father was just outside the car, the woman and baby died from carbon monoxide poisoning before the father realized what was going on, NBC reported. A 3-year-old girl in the car was in critical condition.

Meanwhile, a man in Berks County died of carbon monoxide poisoning after his car was plowed into a snowbank while it was running and he was inside it, CBS reported.

David Perrotto, 56, was trying to dig his car out on Saturday night in Muhlenberg Township, and was inside the running car when a snow plow passed by, burying the car, blocking his tailpipe and preventing him from exiting. (via metro.us)

Cars aren’t the only issues, either.  If your area is affected by a huge amount of snow, make sure if you have gas-powered appliances that the vents are not blocked outside.  Also, generators–be careful with where you place your generator, and always put it OUTSIDE at least 20 feet away from your home.  Here’s a news clip posted last year that is a scary reminder of what blizzards can do:

The point is ultimately to stay safe.  Be even more aware of your surroundings when snow is involved.  Make sure gas vents and exhaust pipes are cleared, and keep areas well-ventilated.  Also, keep this in mind when you load the kids in the car to warm them up–ventilation.  Be safe and careful out there.

(Feature photo via usatoday.com)