Conservation Licenses EXPIRE MARCH 1st
By Toby Trigger

Posted: February 28, 2016

If you are hunting species with a 2015/2016 license you must purchase a NEW CONSERVATION license for the 2016/2017 season BEFORE you head out the door even if your license and permit are STILL valid for the remainder of the season.

Examples of licenses and permits that will become invalid without the 2016/2017 conservation license include trapping and mountain lion.


A Conservation License is a prerequisite for all resident and nonresident licenses. It includes the state lands license (for hunting, fishing and trapping). It also allows a resident or nonresident who is a Legion of Valor member, regardless of age, to fish.

State Lands Recreation

Required for recreational use on state school trust lands.The State Lands Recreation License is included in the Montana Conservation License specifically for the purpose of hunting, fishing, and/or trapping (HFT). All other recreational use on state school trust lands requires the State Lands Recreation License. Youth 12-17 and 60+ pay half price ($5). Families, up to 5 members living in the same household, pay $20.

For more information visit: