Outdoor opportunities are really perking up lately around Montana this week. Wildflowers are popping up, fishing is taking off, and more roads in the parks are opening up as snow melts! May is the month to get out and enjoy Montana before we have to share our beautiful state with the flux of tourists and crowds. If you have already been outside enjoying spring, don’t worry, we saved all the best stories from www.montanaoutdoor.com and have links for you right here!
TOP STORIES FROM THIS WEEK:
Low Water Levels on Canyon Ferry Making Boat Launch Difficult…see why here.
Canyon Ferry Spring Spawning Survey UPDATE 3…see the numbers here.
Rock Climbing Bears Captured on Rare Video…see footage here.
Number of People Killed by Animals Each Year…see the stats here.
Wunder Boner Takes the Wonder Out of Boning Fish…check it out here.
Are you headed out on the water this week? Check out the fishing conditions from around the state in this week’s fishing summaries:
- Bill Brown at Bob Wards says Brown’s Lake is still fishing very well. The Super Tags are available until July 3rd, Woodside to Tucker Crossing still closed to boats until July, but otherwise are doing well.
- Bill at Rock Creek Marina says the fishing has been really good with folks catching Northerns, smallmouth bass, and walleye.
- Chancy at Snappy’s says things are looking better with the better weather. On Rodgers Lake, folks been doing well on grayling and cutthroats fishing from small boats.
- Charlie from Don’s in Lewistown says paddle fishing has started and they are snagging fish!
- Cindy Benson has our Spring Mack Days update with 1270 fish turned in on Friday! For more information go online to www.mackdays.com
- Dallas at Highline Cleaners in Chester says boat fishing to the bank on Tiber has been good with jigs.
- John Harris from Lakeside Resort in Trout Creek says the FLW Bass Tournament is going on, and has a history of success for anglers.
- Mary Beth Kibler of Kibler Outfitting says fishing Hell Creek is picking up. To book your Summer fishing trip call Kibler Outfitting at 406-557-2503.
- Ryan from Bob Wards says in Bozeman & Butte areas The Upper Madison is doing well with golden stones & caddis nymphs. In Helena Canyon Ferry Lake is still very low, but Duck Pond 1 has seen success on walleyes.
- Shelby from Rocky Mountain Supply in Dillon says folks on the lake were using gold spoons and rapalas.
- Todd Young from the MT Walleye Governors Cup says with the rainy weather this past week, the fishing on Duck Creek area at Ft Peck there’s been reports for walleye and pike. The spawn is just about over in the Dry Arm, which is some good news. You can register for the Walleye Governor’s Cup Tournament at www.montanagovcup.com to print the form out or call Glasgow Camber of Commerce at 406-228-2222.
- Woody from Woody’s Lures in Townsend says in the White Sulphur Springs area all the lake are open except Sutherland Lake, and Martinsdale is really looking great.
THIS WEEKS TRIVIA WINNERS:
Congratulations to our trivia winners Bob Bostick of Missoula and Jill Boldstad of Lewistown. Keep listening for your chance to win just like Gary Thompson of Missoula who was the winner of our Montana Club gift card this week! If you missed the show yesterday, just click here.